General Announcements - updated May 30, 2020
St. Bonaventure has created this page to help keep you abreast of how the coronavirus has affected our parish. General information from the Diocese of Buffalo and Parish specific information including mass information, the BRIDGE, and Faith Formation (Religious Ed) can be found here.
Glossary to the contents below:
1. Making of protective masks and seeking mask makers
2. Maintaining Contact with the parish
3. The Bridge Food Pantry
4. Weekend Masses, First Communion & Confirmation
5. Bonafest Update
6. Thank You to contributors
7. Warning of Phishing & phone solicitations
8. Pentecost Sunday Household Prayer Service Program
9. Catholic Charities Update
1. MAKING PROTECTIVE MASKS - Posted May 30, 2020
Directions for making protective masks from the JoAnn Fabric Website: joann.com/how-to-make-a-face-mask/042188731P321.html
An additional suggestion for those who must wear a mask for long periods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze5yzvjQECY
Fr. James is looking for volunteers who can sew masks to be used in church. From guidelines issued to churches in states that have been opened people will be expected to wear masks in public places. So in anticipation of that Fr. James would like to have a reserve of masks to be handed out to parishioners and visitors who may have forgotten to bring a mask with them. If interested in sewing together some masks for the church pleas e-mail Fr. James at: [email protected]
2. Maintaining Contact
The State & Federal Governments & CDC have put a ban on group gatherings and assemblies in order to try and curb the spread of the COVID 19 virus. This has made it impossible for us to gather as a faith community for Mass, Religious Education, and other functions.
In order to maintain a connection and to provide resources for your spiritual growth, the parish now has three internet related sites:
The Parish webpage: https://stbonas.weconnect.com
The Parish Facebook Site: www.Facebook.com
Type in: St Bonaventure Parish notice the way it is listed. There is no period after the “St” and there an uppercase letter at the beginning of each word and space in between.
This site will have a weekly posting with a message from Fr. James and various parish announcements
The Parish YouTube site: Go to: www.YouTube.com
Type in: Bonaventure Parish Allegany NY Be aware that there a number of parishes in the world named after St. Bonaventure. Depending on your server you will find either a picture of the church or the letter “B” which marks out our site. This site will post a weekly liturgy and homily by Fr. James.
3. The Bridge Thrift Store & Food Pantry
Once date of phase 2 of the Re-Opening of the State is official The Bridge Thriftstore and Food Pantry will be open to the public beginning on that day. The exact date is not as of yet been definitively confirmed. Please listen to the public newscasts or the newspaper for the announcements as to the entering into phase 2.
With the issuing of the Guidelines for Social Distancing by the State of New York ans CDC only a limited number of people can be in The Bridge Thrift Store at any one time. Thus some customers may need to wait outside or in their cars until they are called in. Please be patient for this is all new to us well.
4. - Weekend Masses, First Communion, & Confirmation - It been asked when are we going to resume weekend Masses and when are the other sacraments going to be scheduled ? The answer is unknown at this point. Because of the precautions and necessary steps needed to keep the COVID-19 virus from spreading, until the governor, CDC, and the Cattaraugus County Health department lifts the bands everything is on hold. Once we get an idea of when the bands for assembling are lifted and the parameters we must follow parishioners will be notified by e-mail and USPS.
8. Prayer Service for Penetcost Sunday is found on the homepage of the parish website at the bottom listed under "publications." Open the bulletin for May 31 and you will see the service printed there.
9. Catholic Charities Update: So far parishioners from St. Bonaventure have contributed $17,982 to the Catholic Charities Appeal. Those who would like to contribute are requested to send your check - made out to Catholic Charities - to the parish office (95 E. Main St., Allegany, NY 14706) Thank you for your generosity.